The forum for talks about jCore CMS. Share, solve and develop jCore ideas.

Upgrading server from 0.7.1 - 0.9

Having problems with upgrade jCore from version x.x to version y.y?

Upgrading server from 0.7.1 - 0.9

Postby Mr.Paradigm » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:41 pm

Due to being busy with other projects, I missed the release of 0.8 and now would like to update my server to 0.9.

I'm thinking that I have to upgrade to 0.8 first and then to 0.9 with the usual file overwriting in the server and not worry about the client files or the database.

However, I want to know if the changes that came with 0.8 require a different process to upgrade from 0.7.1?

Thanks,
Mr. Paradigm

Re: Upgrading server from 0.7.1 - 0.9

Postby pijulius » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:31 pm

It depends, do you have your websites running on jCore clients or jCore server?

If jCore server then you will have to:
* First run upgrade-from-0.7-to-0.8.sql and
* then run upgrade-from-0.8-to-0.9.sql
* then you should overwrite the files from jcore-server-upgrade-from-0.7-to-0.8.tar.gz and then jcore-server-upgrade-from-0.8-to-0.9.tar.gz

If you use jCore clients for your sites and you have jCore server set up only as a library it is safe to overwrite all the files in your jCore server's path from jCore-server-0.9.tar.gz and going to the admin panel of your clients you will see the Updates section to apply the updates to each of your clients automatically.

IMPORTANT1: If you don't use a separate template for your site please make sure you don't overwrite the template/ directory!
IMPORTANT2: as always please always do a backup of your system, the most important is doing an export from phpMyAdmin on your databases and save the content of your template/ directory just to be sure.

Once you upgraded to 0.9 you will have an Updates section in your admin from where in future you will be able to upgrade without all these manual steps by simply pushing a button :)
pijulius
Site Admin

Postby Mr.Paradigm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Let me make sure that I understand what you're saying.

I have have jCore server set up only as a library and all I have to do is overwrite the server files to upgrade the server and I won't have to update the current clients.

Is that right?
Mr. Paradigm

Postby pijulius » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:06 pm

Yep, that's right, in that case just overwrite all your jcore.server files with the new ones and you are good to go.

(but just in case do a backup before you do this :) )
pijulius
Site Admin

Return to Upgrading jCore